Assignment developer/project

Thorsten Kirk

Hi,

currently we are evaluating codestriker (version 1.9.10) and up to now, it's fits very good to our needs…

But nevertheless, we have one requirement where I'm not sure if codestriker fulfills it…

Is it possible to restrict the users view to the topics of a particular project? e.g. developer A should only have access to topics of project 1, developer B has only access to topics of project 2, …

In short word: is it possible to assign a developer to a particular project?

Thanks in advance for any comment!

Best regards,

Thorsten

Re: Assignment developer/project

Hi Thorsten,

> Is it possible to restrict the users view to the topics of a particular
> project? e.g. developer A should only have access to topics of project 1,
> developer B has only access to topics of project 2, …
>
> In short word: is it possible to assign a developer to a particular project?

The only way it is possible today, is to have multiple Codestriker
deployments within apache, and assign permissions at the apache-level.
 This can work if your number of projects is small.

There is a notion of a user in the system today, but I haven't put in
per-project authorisation support in yet.

Re: Assignment developer/project

Kenneth Wolcott
Hi David

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 13:56, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Thorsten,
>
>> Is it possible to restrict the users view to the topics of a particular
>> project? e.g. developer A should only have access to topics of project 1,
>> developer B has only access to topics of project 2, …
>>
>> In short word: is it possible to assign a developer to a particular project?
>
> The only way it is possible today, is to have multiple Codestriker
> deployments within apache, and assign permissions at the apache-level.
>  This can work if your number of projects is small.
>
> There is a notion of a user in the system today, but I haven't put in
> per-project authorisation support in yet.
>
> Cheers,
> David

  I was planning on a fresh installation of Codestriker for different
groups, one using Subversion, one using Perforce, one using CVS and
another one using Subversion.

  All of these should be separate/distinct to the developer/QA
engineer; the other instances being invisible.

  I was wondering about virtual hosting of Apache to achieve this.

  Your reply seems to suggest that I need different deployments of Codestriker.

  Is my situation significantly different than Thorsten's?

  Anyway, the same database can be used for multiple Codestriker
instances? Or should there be a unique trio of Apache, Codestriker and
database (MySQL or Posgresql ,or Oracle) for each product group?

Thanks,
Ken Wolcott

Re: Assignment developer/project

Hi Ken,

>  I was planning on a fresh installation of Codestriker for different
> groups, one using Subversion, one using Perforce, one using CVS and
> another one using Subversion.
>
>  All of these should be separate/distinct to the developer/QA
> engineer; the other instances being invisible.
>
>  I was wondering about virtual hosting of Apache to achieve this.
>
>  Your reply seems to suggest that I need different deployments of Codestriker.

The only requirement is that each deployment has a separate
codestriker.conf file to work from.. unless they all share the same
config, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

>  Anyway, the same database can be used for multiple Codestriker
> instances? Or should there be a unique trio of Apache, Codestriker and
> database (MySQL or Posgresql ,or Oracle) for each product group?

You'd need separate DB instances, otherwise the topics from different
groups will be mixed up.  This is another reason, why each
codestriker.conf needs to be separate for each project, as this is
where you specify the DB instance.

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 14:54, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
>>  I was planning on a fresh installation of Codestriker for different
>> groups, one using Subversion, one using Perforce, one using CVS and
>> another one using Subversion.
>>
>>  All of these should be separate/distinct to the developer/QA
>> engineer; the other instances being invisible.
>>
>>  I was wondering about virtual hosting of Apache to achieve this.
>>
>>  Your reply seems to suggest that I need different deployments of Codestriker.
>
> The only requirement is that each deployment has a separate
> codestriker.conf file to work from.. unless they all share the same
> config, which doesn't seem to be the case here.
>
>>  Anyway, the same database can be used for multiple Codestriker
>> instances? Or should there be a unique trio of Apache, Codestriker and
>> database (MySQL or Posgresql ,or Oracle) for each product group?
>
> You'd need separate DB instances, otherwise the topics from different
> groups will be mixed up.  This is another reason, why each
> codestriker.conf needs to be separate for each project, as this is
> where you specify the DB instance.
>
> Cheers,
> David

  To be sure I understand this correctly, each distinct project would
need to have an exclusive database instance and a distinct
codestriker.conf, but I would *NOT* need Apache virtual hosting or
(horrors!) multiple Apache instances?  So I could still use one
machine (I'm planning on using a Linux vmWare image as my Codestriker
server, all components on that same image)?

Thanks,
Ken Wolcott

Re: Assignment developer/project

>  To be sure I understand this correctly, each distinct project would
> need to have an exclusive database instance and a distinct
> codestriker.conf, but I would *NOT* need Apache virtual hosting or
> (horrors!) multiple Apache instances?  So I could still use one
> machine (I'm planning on using a Linux vmWare image as my Codestriker
> server, all components on that same image)?

That's right - only one apache instance is required, but each
Codestriker instance has a separate entry in apache's config.

Somebody actually did this already, and documented the steps on this
mailing list.  Could be worth searching the archives for it.

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 15:26, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>  To be sure I understand this correctly, each distinct project would
>> need to have an exclusive database instance and a distinct
>> codestriker.conf, but I would *NOT* need Apache virtual hosting or
>> (horrors!) multiple Apache instances?  So I could still use one
>> machine (I'm planning on using a Linux vmWare image as my Codestriker
>> server, all components on that same image)?
>
> That's right - only one apache instance is required, but each
> Codestriker instance has a separate entry in apache's config.
>
> Somebody actually did this already, and documented the steps on this
> mailing list.  Could be worth searching the archives for it.
>
> Cheers,
> David

Thank you very much; I will take a look at the mailling list archives.

Ken Wolcott

Re: Assignment developer/project

Thorsten Kirk
Hi Ken, hi David,