Help required in configuring Clearcase for Code-Striker

Help required in configuring Clearcase for Code-Striker

pramodh.ghurki
Hi,
We are trying out code-striker tool for establishing an online-review process for our team. In this regard we need some help in integrating clearcase with code striker.

Here are the configuration changes we have made:
1. our repository uses dynamic views and therefore we have included the following line in codestriker.conf file.

     'clearcase:dyn:codestriker:/view'

where "codestriker" is the name of the view we have created [a default view, through which the codebase can be accessed] & /view is the mount point where this view gets mounted. so basically the path will be /view/codestriker/.../.../ for the source.

2. Modified the name that gets displayed accordingly

$repository_name_map =
{
    '/home/sits/cvs' => 'Local CVS',
    'clearcase:dyn:codestriker:/view' => 'Clearcase',
    ':pserver:sits:[hidden email]:/cvsroot' => 'SF CVS'
};
But if I click on the topic created, the diff is not able to talk to the clearcase using the above configuration changes & it just shows the contents of the diff file only.

Please let me know what am I missing here. Does the dynamic view module requires any other configuration? I am running the apache server in the "user1" context and I have verified that the "user1" is able to talk to the clearcase & do a get of a file.

Regards
Pramodh

Re: Help required in configuring Clearcase for Code-Striker

> But if I click on the topic created, the diff is not able to talk to the
> clearcase using the above configuration changes & it just shows the contents
> of the diff file only.

Firstly - are you using 1.9.10 test 1?  There have been some Clearcase
fixes since 1.9.9, so please upgrade first if you haven't already.

Secondly - what happens when you click on the Parallel link?  Do you
see an error message?  If so, what is it?  You might also need to
check your apache error log file for more details.

Re: Help required in configuring Clearcase for Code-Striker

pramodh.ghurki
Hi David,
Thanks for the response. I installed the version "1.9.10 test 1" & still I
am seeing the same behavior. I have attached the snapshot of the view when I
click on a topic which is created.

As you can see I am not able to get the parallel option enabled in this
view, so I don't know what the problem is. Is there a place where
codestriker logs all the messages? I see http_output being used for
displaying error messages. Is it going to get displayed on the browser
itself, or is there any other place where any log messages are stored.

I did go through the apache log messages in /var/log/httpd/error_log, but I
didn't find any thing strange other than an error related to RSS feed [even
though I haven't enabled it]
codestriker.pl: Use of uninitialized value in string eq at
/var/www/codestriker/codestriker-1.9.10-test1/lib/Codestriker/Http/Method/Li
stTopicsMethod.pm line 54.

Please let me know if you need any more information on my setup.

One observation regarding the module ctcmd perl module. While running
install.pl for the first time I ran into some problem as I didn't had this
perl module, but it downloaded it & had some issues with "make test". But I
did a forced installation & after that it went through fine. Now I get the
following message while running install.pl
Checking for ClearCase::CtCmd (any)     ok: found v1.06
But if I run a sample program with this module, it gives an error saying
that this module is not in the path [something related to @inc..]

One more observation regarding this new version is that the log-in option
has been removed!! Is that something done intentionally? Any specific reason
for removing that option?

Regards
Pramodh

> But if I click on the topic created, the diff is not able to talk to
> the clearcase using the above configuration changes & it just shows
> the contents of the diff file only.

Firstly - are you using 1.9.10 test 1?  There have been some Clearcase fixes
since 1.9.9, so please upgrade first if you haven't already.

Secondly - what happens when you click on the Parallel link?  Do you see an
error message?  If so, what is it?  You might also need to check your apache
error log file for more details.

cs-error.JPG (78K) Download Attachment

Re: Help required in configuring Clearcase for Code-Striker

Hi Pramodh,

Your repository is 'clearcase:dyn:codestriker:/view', so any diffs you
create, should start with /view in the path names inside the diffs.
If that is not present, then Codestriker will assume the diff is from
a different vob/view, and won't display the Parallel links.

If you create diffs as specified in the manual, then it should work
fine.  I am not a ClearCase user, so I can't really help you any more
than what is written in the manual.

> One more observation regarding this new version is that the log-in option
> has been removed!! Is that something done intentionally? Any specific reason
> for removing that option?

Its there - perhaps you didn't update your codestriker.conf after you
upgraded to allow user logins?

Re: Help required in configuring Clearcase for Code-Striker

pramodh.ghurki
Hi David,
Thanks for that suggestion, that did the trip. My path was not correct.

But I am still not able to get the log-in option enabled in the latest
version [screenshot attached]. I am getting the same in the older version
1.9.9 but not in the latest version [1.9.10 test 1]!! What am I missing
here. Is it some value in the configuration file? I created the database a
fresh & it is not having any old entries.

Regards
Pramodh

Your repository is 'clearcase:dyn:codestriker:/view', so any diffs you
create, should start with /view in the path names inside the diffs.
If that is not present, then Codestriker will assume the diff is from a
different vob/view, and won't display the Parallel links.

If you create diffs as specified in the manual, then it should work fine.  I
am not a ClearCase user, so I can't really help you any more than what is
written in the manual.

> One more observation regarding this new version is that the log-in
> option has been removed!! Is that something done intentionally? Any
> specific reason for removing that option?

Its there - perhaps you didn't update your codestriker.conf after you
upgraded to allow user logins?

login.JPG (110K) Download Attachment

Re: Help required in configuring Clearcase for Code-Striker

You can copy the codestriker.conf file from your 1.9.9 install to your
1.9.10 install. Run install.pl, restart apache.

If you are already logged in, then there will be a log out link.  If
you click on that, you'll see a login link.

Incidentally, I put up 1.9.10 test 2 which has a few very minor
changes - mostly warning messages which have been removed.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Pramodh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi David,
> Thanks for that suggestion, that did the trip. My path was not correct.
>
> But I am still not able to get the log-in option enabled in the latest
> version [screenshot attached]. I am getting the same in the older version
> 1.9.9 but not in the latest version [1.9.10 test 1]!! What am I missing
> here. Is it some value in the configuration file? I created the database a
> fresh & it is not having any old entries.
>
> Regards
> Pramodh

Resending, as I didn't mark it to the group.

-Pramodh

Re: Help required in configuring Clearcase for Code-Striker

Hi Pramodh,

Somebody recently asked about this too.  I asked him to update
CodestrikerClient.pm so that it could retrieve a list of topics, and
then do whatever custom logic was required.  That way, you could make
this a cronjob script, and send out nagging emails.

I haven't heard back from him yet.. although he seemed keen to do it.
I don't think it would be that hard to implement.

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Pramodh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Resending, as I didn't mark it to the group.
>
> -Pramodh

Can you please elaborate a bit more on this. Are you suggesting that we need
to create a function in CodestrikerClient.pm which retrieves all the open
topics and then use this function in a cronjob to send out emails?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards
Pramodh

Somebody recently asked about this too.  I asked him to update
CodestrikerClient.pm so that it could retrieve a list of topics, and then do
whatever custom logic was required.  That way, you could make this a cronjob
script, and send out nagging emails.

I haven't heard back from him yet.. although he seemed keen to do it.
I don't think it would be that hard to implement.

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Pramodh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Resending, as I didn't mark it to the group.
>
> -Pramodh

That's it exactly.  If you add &format=xml to the CGI parameters,
you'll get an XML response of the list of topics coming back, which
you can stuff into some perl objects.

Then you could write a script to work off this.  I can give you hand
(off list) if you need more help.