How to use Codestriker to display a diff between two different files or many different pairs of different files?

How to use Codestriker to display a diff between two different files or many different pairs of different files?

Kenneth Wolcott
Hi;

We have a situation where file "a" and file "b" differ slightly.

Sometimes a very significant and pertinent change also occurs between file "c" and file "d".

Normally I see cvs diff between a checked-in version and a modified version being the components of the topic text.

How should I compose the diff such that Codestriker will recognize and display a diff between "a" and "b" just like it does normally?

Secondly how should I concatenate the output of several of such paired diffs such that Codestriker will display each filename and the associated differences side-by-side?

I have tried using "sdiff -s a b" but this doesn't work very well.

Suggestions/Advice/Enhancement please.

Thanks,
Ken Wolcott

Re: How to use Codestriker to display a diff between two different files or many different pairs of different files?

Hi Ken,

> How should I compose the diff such that Codestriker will recognize and
> display a diff between "a" and "b" just like it does normally?

Just use the regular diff command on these two files, eg:

diff a.txt b.txt > output.txt

You can then load output.txt as your review topic.

> Secondly how should I concatenate the output of several of such paired diffs
> such that Codestriker will display each filename and the associated
> differences side-by-side?

diff a1.txt b1.txt > output1.txt
diff a2.txt b2.txt > output2.txt
diff a3.txt b3.txt > output3.txt

cat output1.txt output2.txt output3.txt > output.txt

The output.txt file will then have the concatenation of all diffs in a
single file, which you can then upload to Codestriker as a single
review.

Re: How to use Codestriker to display a diff between two different files or many different pairs of different files?

Kenneth Wolcott
Hi David;

  Thank you so much for your reply.

  I will be using this quite a bit from now on.

Thanks,
Ken Wolcott

Hi Ken,