Inappropriate ioctl for device

Jeremy Bowen
Hi All

I've just installed CodeStriker v1.9.10 and so far everything is working as
expected. However when trying to create a Topic using only a single CVS
Tag, I get the following error:

Software error:
Command failed: Failed to execute "/usr/bin/cvs" "-q" "-d" ":pserver:anonymous:@cvs.pertronic.local:/home/software/cvsroot" "rdiff" "-u" "-u" "-r" "1.0"
"-r" "NGW_v1_4a" "Gateway" > "/tmp/h8hEAZGxtc/stdout.txt" 2> "/tmp/h8hEAZGxtc/stderr.txt": Inappropriate ioctl for device
 at /var/www/codestriker-1.9.10/lib/Codestriker/Repository/Cvs.pm line 133

/usr/bin/cvs -q -d :pserver:anonymous:@cvs.pertronic.local:/home/software/cvsroot rdiff -u -u -r 1.0 -r NGW_v1_4a Gateway
Check your webserver error log for more information.
 at /var/www/codestriker-1.9.10/lib/Codestriker/Repository/Cvs.pm line 133

I've only specified the "Start tag" field on the "Create New Topic" form.
If I tick the "Default to HEAD" box then it succeeds.
If I specify a valid start and end tag, it succeeds.
Executing the commands from a shell produces the expected diff output.

A quick search indicates this is likely to be a problem with Perl discovering
that stdout is not a terminal.
I'm running on Ubuntu Server v8.04LTS
Perl v5.8.8
Apache 2.2.8

Any suggestions on where to look ?

--
Cheers
Jeremy

Re: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Hi Jeremy,

> Software error:
> Command failed: Failed to execute "/usr/bin/cvs" "-q" "-d" ":pserver:anonymous:@cvs.pertronic.local:/home/software/cvsroot" "rdiff" "-u" "-u" "-r" "1.0"
> "-r" "NGW_v1_4a" "Gateway" > "/tmp/h8hEAZGxtc/stdout.txt" 2> "/tmp/h8hEAZGxtc/stderr.txt": Inappropriate ioctl for device
>  at /var/www/codestriker-1.9.10/lib/Codestriker/Repository/Cvs.pm line 133

Are you running this using mod_perl?  Try using CGI first.

Re: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Jeremy Bowen
Hi David

On Thursday 04 August 2011 6:55:19 PM David Sitsky wrote:

> Hi Jeremy,
>
> > Software error:
> > Command failed: Failed to execute "/usr/bin/cvs" "-q" "-d"
> > ":pserver:anonymous:@cvs.pertronic.local:/home/software/cvsroot" "rdiff"
> > "-u" "-u" "-r" "1.0" "-r" "NGW_v1_4a" "Gateway" >
> > "/tmp/h8hEAZGxtc/stdout.txt" 2> "/tmp/h8hEAZGxtc/stderr.txt":
> > Inappropriate ioctl for device at
> > /var/www/codestriker-1.9.10/lib/Codestriker/Repository/Cvs.pm line 133
>
> Are you running this using mod_perl?  Try using CGI first.

Yes, using CGI works although it does appear to be a little slower.

Not a big deal but I thought it was interesting that if both start and end
tags are specified, I don't get the "invalid ioctl" error (using mod_perl).

Cheers
Jeremy

Re: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Hi Jeremy,

> Yes, using CGI works although it does appear to be a little slower.
>
> Not a big deal but I thought it was interesting that if both start and end
> tags are specified, I don't get the "invalid ioctl" error (using mod_perl).

Very strange.. sadly its the mysteries of mod_perl I am afraid.