Newbie question - mail configuration

Andre Rubin
Hi there.

New here, yada yada yada!

I'm getting an error while trying to create a new user:

"Couldn't set sender to "codestriker": , <codestriker>: sender address must contain a domain"

Couldn't find where to set this on codestriker.conf!

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Andre

Re: Newbie question - mail configuration

Hi Andre,

Your username needs to be an email address - with the domain specified.

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 2:24 AM, Andre Rubin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there.
> New here, yada yada yada!
> I'm getting an error while trying to create a new user:
> "Couldn't set sender to "codestriker": , <codestriker>: sender address must
> contain a domain"
>
> Couldn't find where to set this on codestriker.conf!
> Thanks for any help you can provide.
>
> Andre

Re: Newbie question - mail configuration

Andre Rubin
Where do I set that?

Thanks,

Andre

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 3:09 PM, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Andre,

Your username needs to be an email address - with the domain specified.

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 2:24 AM, Andre Rubin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi there.
> New here, yada yada yada!
> I'm getting an error while trying to create a new user:
> "Couldn't set sender to "codestriker": , <codestriker>: sender address must
> contain a domain"
>
> Couldn't find where to set this on codestriker.conf!
> Thanks for any help you can provide.
>
> Andre

Re: Newbie question - mail configuration

Can you give more information as to exactly which screen it is you are
doing this from?  What values are you putting into the fields?

Have you set $mailhost in your codestriker.conf?  Did you set
$mailuser/$mailpasswd at all (if your SMTP server requires
authentication?)

There also might be more information in Apache's error.log file.

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Andre Rubin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Where do I set that?
> Thanks,
> Andre
>
> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 3:09 PM, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Andre,
>>
>> Your username needs to be an email address - with the domain specified.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 2:24 AM, Andre Rubin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi there.
>> > New here, yada yada yada!
>> > I'm getting an error while trying to create a new user:
>> > "Couldn't set sender to "codestriker": , <codestriker>: sender address
>> > must
>> > contain a domain"
>> >
>> > Couldn't find where to set this on codestriker.conf!
>> > Thanks for any help you can provide.
>> >
>> > Andre

>> > challenge
>> > Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great
>> > prizes
>> > Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the
>> > world
>> > http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/

Re: Newbie question - mail configuration

Andre Rubin
When I access codestriker.pl, it asks for a username and password. Since I'm not sure which password it is talking about I click on Create New User. When I try to use my email address it complains that the user already exists. Then I type in my email address in the appropriate box and hit the Reset Password button. That's when I get the aforementioned error. Apache's error log has the same message.

My $mailhost, $mailuser, and $mailpasswd are set correctly, with our mail server, my email and pass (that was I why I was asking where does it get the user "codestriker" as sender? Could it be from $dbuser?)

Many thanks,

Andre

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 4:58 PM, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can you give more information as to exactly which screen it is you are
doing this from?  What values are you putting into the fields?

Have you set $mailhost in your codestriker.conf?  Did you set
$mailuser/$mailpasswd at all (if your SMTP server requires
authentication?)

There also might be more information in Apache's error.log file.

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Andre Rubin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Where do I set that?
> Thanks,
> Andre
>
> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 3:09 PM, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Andre,
>>
>> Your username needs to be an email address - with the domain specified.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 2:24 AM, Andre Rubin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi there.
>> > New here, yada yada yada!
>> > I'm getting an error while trying to create a new user:
>> > "Couldn't set sender to "codestriker": , <codestriker>: sender address
>> > must
>> > contain a domain"
>> >
>> > Couldn't find where to set this on codestriker.conf!
>> > Thanks for any help you can provide.
>> >
>> > Andre

>> > challenge
>> > Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great
>> > prizes
>> > Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the
>> > world
>> > http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/

Re: Newbie question - mail configuration

That sounds strange.  Has $mailuser been set to "codestriker" by any chance?

Does the same think happen if you try to create a brand new user?

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 6:08 AM, Andre Rubin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I access codestriker.pl, it asks for a username and password. Since I'm
> not sure which password it is talking about I click on Create New User. When
> I try to use my email address it complains that the user already exists.
> Then I type in my email address in the appropriate box and hit the Reset
> Password button. That's when I get the aforementioned error. Apache's error
> log has the same message.
> My $mailhost, $mailuser, and $mailpasswd are set correctly, with our mail
> server, my email and pass (that was I why I was asking where does it get the
> user "codestriker" as sender? Could it be from $dbuser?)
> Many thanks,
>
> Andre
> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 4:58 PM, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Can you give more information as to exactly which screen it is you are
>> doing this from?  What values are you putting into the fields?
>>
>> Have you set $mailhost in your codestriker.conf?  Did you set
>> $mailuser/$mailpasswd at all (if your SMTP server requires
>> authentication?)
>>
>> There also might be more information in Apache's error.log file.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Andre Rubin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Where do I set that?
>> > Thanks,
>> > Andre

Re: Newbie question - mail configuration

Andre Rubin
$mailuser is set to my user.

The same happens when I create a new user (I double checked mysql and the new user is there).

Is it possible that it's not reading the config file at all? I'm using codestriker 1.9.7-rc1. Should I install 1.9.6 and see what happens?

Andre

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 2:01 PM, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
That sounds strange.  Has $mailuser been set to "codestriker" by any chance?

Does the same think happen if you try to create a brand new user?

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 6:08 AM, Andre Rubin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> When I access codestriker.pl, it asks for a username and password. Since I'm
> not sure which password it is talking about I click on Create New User. When
> I try to use my email address it complains that the user already exists.
> Then I type in my email address in the appropriate box and hit the Reset
> Password button. That's when I get the aforementioned error. Apache's error
> log has the same message.
> My $mailhost, $mailuser, and $mailpasswd are set correctly, with our mail
> server, my email and pass (that was I why I was asking where does it get the
> user "codestriker" as sender? Could it be from $dbuser?)
> Many thanks,
>
> Andre
> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 4:58 PM, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Can you give more information as to exactly which screen it is you are
>> doing this from?  What values are you putting into the fields?
>>
>> Have you set $mailhost in your codestriker.conf?  Did you set
>> $mailuser/$mailpasswd at all (if your SMTP server requires
>> authentication?)
>>
>> There also might be more information in Apache's error.log file.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Andre Rubin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Where do I set that?
>> > Thanks,
>> > Andre

Re: Newbie question - mail configuration

Yeah - try 1.9.6.  It sounds like some strange mail configuration
issue on your end.  Let us know how you go.

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Andre Rubin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> $mailuser is set to my user.
> The same happens when I create a new user (I double checked mysql and the
> new user is there).
> Is it possible that it's not reading the config file at all? I'm using
> codestriker 1.9.7-rc1. Should I install 1.9.6 and see what happens?
>
> Andre
>
> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 2:01 PM, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> That sounds strange.  Has $mailuser been set to "codestriker" by any
>> chance?
>>
>> Does the same think happen if you try to create a brand new user?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 6:08 AM, Andre Rubin <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > When I access codestriker.pl, it asks for a username and password. Since
>> > I'm
>> > not sure which password it is talking about I click on Create New User.
>> > When
>> > I try to use my email address it complains that the user already exists.
>> > Then I type in my email address in the appropriate box and hit the Reset
>> > Password button. That's when I get the aforementioned error. Apache's
>> > error
>> > log has the same message.
>> > My $mailhost, $mailuser, and $mailpasswd are set correctly, with our
>> > mail
>> > server, my email and pass (that was I why I was asking where does it get
>> > the
>> > user "codestriker" as sender? Could it be from $dbuser?)
>> > Many thanks,
>> >
>> > Andre

Re: Newbie question - mail configuration

Andre Rubin
Yeah. Things are working now with 1.9.6! Emails are being sent and all!

Thanks,

Andre

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 4:08 AM, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah - try 1.9.6.  It sounds like some strange mail configuration
> issue on your end.  Let us know how you go.
>
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Andre Rubin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> $mailuser is set to my user.
>> The same happens when I create a new user (I double checked mysql and the
>> new user is there).
>> Is it possible that it's not reading the config file at all? I'm using
>> codestriker 1.9.7-rc1. Should I install 1.9.6 and see what happens?
>>
>> Andre
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 2:01 PM, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> That sounds strange.  Has $mailuser been set to "codestriker" by any
>>> chance?
>>>
>>> Does the same think happen if you try to create a brand new user?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> David

Re: Newbie question - mail configuration

Strange - can you try 1.9.7 again, this time with $admin_users
commented out in your codestriker.conf file?

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Andre Rubin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah. Things are working now with 1.9.6! Emails are being sent and all!
>
> Thanks,
>

> Andre
>
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 4:08 AM, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yeah - try 1.9.6.  It sounds like some strange mail configuration
>> issue on your end.  Let us know how you go.
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Andre Rubin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> $mailuser is set to my user.
>>> The same happens when I create a new user (I double checked mysql and the
>>> new user is there).
>>> Is it possible that it's not reading the config file at all? I'm using
>>> codestriker 1.9.7-rc1. Should I install 1.9.6 and see what happens?
>>>
>>> Andre

Re: Newbie question - mail configuration

Sorry - this was my bad.

You can easily fix this if you edit lib/Codestriker/AddNewUser.pm, and
change two lines:

    $smtp->mail("codestriker");

and a bit further down:

    $smtp->datasend("From: codestriker\n");

On my system, it wasn't a problem to use codestriker, but obviously on
yours this is an issue.  I'll make this configurable in the next
release so you can set the email address to use when codestriker sends
out these kind of "admin" emails.

As an example, you could make them (set the domain part right for your system):

    $smtp->mail("codestriker\@myhost.com");

and a bit further down:

    $smtp->datasend("From: codestriker\@myhost.com\n");

Please let me know if that fixes thing for you.

Re: Newbie question - mail configuration

Andre Rubin
Hi David,

I've downloaded 1.9.7-rc3 and this is working now. Thanks!

A question regarding this version's user management. Right now, anyone
can access codestriker.pl and create a new account. Is there a way to
let only admins create a new account for users? I'm thinking this
shouldn't be too hard to implement, but my pearl skills are close to
nil, so I have no idea how. :)

Thanks,

Andre

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 9:01 PM, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry - this was my bad.
>
> You can easily fix this if you edit lib/Codestriker/AddNewUser.pm, and
> change two lines:
>
>    $smtp->mail("codestriker");
>
> and a bit further down:
>
>    $smtp->datasend("From: codestriker\n");
>
> On my system, it wasn't a problem to use codestriker, but obviously on
> yours this is an issue.  I'll make this configurable in the next
> release so you can set the email address to use when codestriker sends
> out these kind of "admin" emails.
>
> As an example, you could make them (set the domain part right for your system):
>
>    $smtp->mail("codestriker\@myhost.com");
>
> and a bit further down:
>
>    $smtp->datasend("From: codestriker\@myhost.com\n");
>
> Please let me know if that fixes thing for you.
>
> Cheers,
> David

Re: Newbie question - mail configuration

Hi Andre,

That's an interesting use case - in theory you just need to update the
appropriate Method classes in lib/Codestriker/Http/Method to have the
following in them:

sub requires_admin {
    return 1;
}

See CreateProjectMethod.pm as an example.  This indicates that only
the admin user can perform this method.

In this case, you'd probably want the AddNewUserMethod,
CreateNewUserMethod and NewPasswordMethod methods to be admin only.

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Andre Rubin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I've downloaded 1.9.7-rc3 and this is working now. Thanks!
>
> A question regarding this version's user management. Right now, anyone
> can access codestriker.pl and create a new account. Is there a way to
> let only admins create a new account for users? I'm thinking this
> shouldn't be too hard to implement, but my pearl skills are close to
> nil, so I have no idea how. :)
>
> Thanks,
>

> Andre
>
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 9:01 PM, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sorry - this was my bad.
>>
>> You can easily fix this if you edit lib/Codestriker/AddNewUser.pm, and
>> change two lines:
>>
>>    $smtp->mail("codestriker");
>>
>> and a bit further down:
>>
>>    $smtp->datasend("From: codestriker\n");
>>
>> On my system, it wasn't a problem to use codestriker, but obviously on
>> yours this is an issue.  I'll make this configurable in the next
>> release so you can set the email address to use when codestriker sends
>> out these kind of "admin" emails.
>>
>> As an example, you could make them (set the domain part right for your system):
>>
>>    $smtp->mail("codestriker\@myhost.com");
>>
>> and a bit further down:
>>
>>    $smtp->datasend("From: codestriker\@myhost.com\n");
>>
>> Please let me know if that fixes thing for you.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David

Re: Newbie question - mail configuration

Andre Rubin
Thanks for the prompt answer David.

That worked for blocking non admins to create a new user... but how do
I access codestriker.pl?action=create_new_user after I log in as an
admin?

Thanks again,

Andre

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 5:21 PM, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andre,
>
> That's an interesting use case - in theory you just need to update the
> appropriate Method classes in lib/Codestriker/Http/Method to have the
> following in them:
>
> sub requires_admin {
>    return 1;
> }
>
> See CreateProjectMethod.pm as an example.  This indicates that only
> the admin user can perform this method.
>
> In this case, you'd probably want the AddNewUserMethod,
> CreateNewUserMethod and NewPasswordMethod methods to be admin only.
>
> Cheers,
> David
>
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Andre Rubin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> I've downloaded 1.9.7-rc3 and this is working now. Thanks!
>>
>> A question regarding this version's user management. Right now, anyone
>> can access codestriker.pl and create a new account. Is there a way to
>> let only admins create a new account for users? I'm thinking this
>> shouldn't be too hard to implement, but my pearl skills are close to
>> nil, so I have no idea how. :)
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> Andre
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 9:01 PM, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Sorry - this was my bad.
>>>
>>> You can easily fix this if you edit lib/Codestriker/AddNewUser.pm, and
>>> change two lines:
>>>
>>>    $smtp->mail("codestriker");
>>>
>>> and a bit further down:
>>>
>>>    $smtp->datasend("From: codestriker\n");
>>>
>>> On my system, it wasn't a problem to use codestriker, but obviously on
>>> yours this is an issue.  I'll make this configurable in the next
>>> release so you can set the email address to use when codestriker sends
>>> out these kind of "admin" emails.
>>>
>>> As an example, you could make them (set the domain part right for your system):
>>>
>>>    $smtp->mail("codestriker\@myhost.com");
>>>
>>> and a bit further down:
>>>
>>>    $smtp->datasend("From: codestriker\@myhost.com\n");
>>>
>>> Please let me know if that fixes thing for you.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> David

Re: Newbie question - mail configuration

If you click on the "Log in" link at the top, then click on "create
new account" - won't that do the job?

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Andre Rubin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the prompt answer David.
>
> That worked for blocking non admins to create a new user... but how do
> I access codestriker.pl?action=create_new_user after I log in as an
> admin?
>
> Thanks again,
>

> Andre
>
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 5:21 PM, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Andre,
>>
>> That's an interesting use case - in theory you just need to update the
>> appropriate Method classes in lib/Codestriker/Http/Method to have the
>> following in them:
>>
>> sub requires_admin {
>>    return 1;
>> }
>>
>> See CreateProjectMethod.pm as an example.  This indicates that only
>> the admin user can perform this method.
>>
>> In this case, you'd probably want the AddNewUserMethod,
>> CreateNewUserMethod and NewPasswordMethod methods to be admin only.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Andre Rubin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> I've downloaded 1.9.7-rc3 and this is working now. Thanks!
>>>
>>> A question regarding this version's user management. Right now, anyone
>>> can access codestriker.pl and create a new account. Is there a way to
>>> let only admins create a new account for users? I'm thinking this
>>> shouldn't be too hard to implement, but my pearl skills are close to
>>> nil, so I have no idea how. :)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> Andre

Re: Newbie question - mail configuration

Andre Rubin
No, it says 'This function requires admin access.'

And I'm just querying usertable and the user I'm using has admin = 1;

Another thing I realized is that there's no notion of logging out (I
thought that by clicking Log In it would automatically log out, but it
doesn't seem so). How's codestriker knows who's logged in? I even
restarted Apache and it kept my previous user logged in. How can I
check which user is logged in?

Thanks again,

Andre

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 7:03 PM, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you click on the "Log in" link at the top, then click on "create
> new account" - won't that do the job?
>
> Cheers,
> David
>
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Andre Rubin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks for the prompt answer David.
>>
>> That worked for blocking non admins to create a new user... but how do
>> I access codestriker.pl?action=create_new_user after I log in as an
>> admin?
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>

>> Andre
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 5:21 PM, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Andre,
>>>
>>> That's an interesting use case - in theory you just need to update the
>>> appropriate Method classes in lib/Codestriker/Http/Method to have the
>>> following in them:
>>>
>>> sub requires_admin {
>>>    return 1;
>>> }
>>>
>>> See CreateProjectMethod.pm as an example.  This indicates that only
>>> the admin user can perform this method.
>>>
>>> In this case, you'd probably want the AddNewUserMethod,
>>> CreateNewUserMethod and NewPasswordMethod methods to be admin only.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> David

Re: Newbie question - mail configuration

I'm confused with what you are trying to do.

Which user are you talking about (new or admin user) and which screen
are you going to?  Please tell me the steps you are doing.

Yes - I haven't done a log out yet - basically your cookie remembers
you login name.  If you want to change users, just go to the login
screen again and enter the new user you want to become.

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 5:51 AM, Andre Rubin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No, it says 'This function requires admin access.'
>
> And I'm just querying usertable and the user I'm using has admin = 1;
>
> Another thing I realized is that there's no notion of logging out (I
> thought that by clicking Log In it would automatically log out, but it
> doesn't seem so). How's codestriker knows who's logged in? I even
> restarted Apache and it kept my previous user logged in. How can I
> check which user is logged in?
>
> Thanks again,
>

> Andre
>
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 7:03 PM, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If you click on the "Log in" link at the top, then click on "create
>> new account" - won't that do the job?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Andre Rubin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Thanks for the prompt answer David.
>>>
>>> That worked for blocking non admins to create a new user... but how do
>>> I access codestriker.pl?action=create_new_user after I log in as an
>>> admin?
>>>
>>> Thanks again,
>>>

>>> Andre

Re: Newbie question - mail configuration

Andre Rubin
Hi David,

Sorry, last email wasn't to clear!
I log in as admin, I click Log In, then 'create a new account'; I
still get the message: "This function requires admin access."

Thanks,

Andre

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 3:36 PM, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm confused with what you are trying to do.
>
> Which user are you talking about (new or admin user) and which screen
> are you going to?  Please tell me the steps you are doing.
>
> Yes - I haven't done a log out yet - basically your cookie remembers
> you login name.  If you want to change users, just go to the login
> screen again and enter the new user you want to become.
>
> Cheers,
> David
>
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 5:51 AM, Andre Rubin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> No, it says 'This function requires admin access.'
>>
>> And I'm just querying usertable and the user I'm using has admin = 1;
>>
>> Another thing I realized is that there's no notion of logging out (I
>> thought that by clicking Log In it would automatically log out, but it
>> doesn't seem so). How's codestriker knows who's logged in? I even
>> restarted Apache and it kept my previous user logged in. How can I
>> check which user is logged in?
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>

>> Andre
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 7:03 PM, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> If you click on the "Log in" link at the top, then click on "create
>>> new account" - won't that do the job?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> David

Re: Newbie question - mail configuration

Great - glad to hear it!