OCIEnvNlsCreate Error

Edward Jakosalem
Hello List,

I've just installed the latest version of Codestriker with Oracle 11g
with the latest perl modules. Alll installations went ok. I ran the
install.pl script and gave no errors. However, when I access
codestriker with a browser, the error below appears.

[Sat Sep 20 21:11:15 2008] [error] [Sat Sep 20 21:11:15 2008] -e: DBI
connect('host=x.x.x.x;sid=xxxxx','codestriker',...) failed: ERROR
OCIEnvNlsCreate. Check ORACLE_HOME (Linux) env var  or PATH (Windows)
and or NLS settings, permissions, etc. at
/var/www/codestriker-1.9.6/bin/../lib/Codestriker/DB/Database.pm line
61\n

I've been searching the web for this error for days now and still
can't find a solution. I already tried several times to
uninstall/re-install  perl modules but the error remains. I'm sure I
have the correct paths mentioned in the error message set in my Apache
server as it shows on my phpinfo result. I also have a simple perl
script to check connection to the database and it runs ok.

Are there anything else I can check? I really really need help!

Thanks in advance.

Edward

Re: OCIEnvNlsCreate Error

I wish I could help, but I am no oracle user.  If install.pl is
working, and the web application isn't, it must be the difference
between your environment variables between your interactive shell (I
assume running as root), and the user running apache.

I seem to remember Oracle required all sorts of environment variables
set, such as ORACLE_HOME and NLS_LANG.

Maybe you need to run "set" as root, and compare it to the results of
"set" for the user running apache to see what the important
differences could be..

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 12:24 AM, Edward Jakosalem <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> I've just installed the latest version of Codestriker with Oracle 11g
> with the latest perl modules. Alll installations went ok. I ran the
> install.pl script and gave no errors. However, when I access
> codestriker with a browser, the error below appears.
>
> [Sat Sep 20 21:11:15 2008] [error] [Sat Sep 20 21:11:15 2008] -e: DBI
> connect('host=x.x.x.x;sid=xxxxx','codestriker',...) failed: ERROR
> OCIEnvNlsCreate. Check ORACLE_HOME (Linux) env var  or PATH (Windows)
> and or NLS settings, permissions, etc. at
> /var/www/codestriker-1.9.6/bin/../lib/Codestriker/DB/Database.pm line
> 61\n
>
> I've been searching the web for this error for days now and still
> can't find a solution. I already tried several times to
> uninstall/re-install  perl modules but the error remains. I'm sure I
> have the correct paths mentioned in the error message set in my Apache
> server as it shows on my phpinfo result. I also have a simple perl
> script to check connection to the database and it runs ok.
>
> Are there anything else I can check? I really really need help!
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Edward

Re: OCIEnvNlsCreate Error

Edward Jakosalem
Thanks for your reply David.

All variables have been defined already actually and can be seen by
all the system users. But I found out what the problem is.

The problem is that running 'service httpd restart' doesn't get all
the environment variables but running '/etc/init.d/httpd restart'
does. All the while I thought these 2 commands are all the same.

I hope this can help someone with the same problem. If anyone also
knows how to make the 2 commands behave the same, please share. I know
it will help a lot of people with the same problem.

Cheers.

Edward

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 5:41 PM, David Sitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wish I could help, but I am no oracle user.  If install.pl is
> working, and the web application isn't, it must be the difference
> between your environment variables between your interactive shell (I
> assume running as root), and the user running apache.
>
> I seem to remember Oracle required all sorts of environment variables
> set, such as ORACLE_HOME and NLS_LANG.
>
> Maybe you need to run "set" as root, and compare it to the results of
> "set" for the user running apache to see what the important
> differences could be..
>
> Cheers,
> David
>
> On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 12:24 AM, Edward Jakosalem <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello List,
>>
>> I've just installed the latest version of Codestriker with Oracle 11g
>> with the latest perl modules. Alll installations went ok. I ran the
>> install.pl script and gave no errors. However, when I access
>> codestriker with a browser, the error below appears.
>>
>> [Sat Sep 20 21:11:15 2008] [error] [Sat Sep 20 21:11:15 2008] -e: DBI
>> connect('host=x.x.x.x;sid=xxxxx','codestriker',...) failed: ERROR
>> OCIEnvNlsCreate. Check ORACLE_HOME (Linux) env var  or PATH (Windows)
>> and or NLS settings, permissions, etc. at
>> /var/www/codestriker-1.9.6/bin/../lib/Codestriker/DB/Database.pm line
>> 61\n
>>
>> I've been searching the web for this error for days now and still
>> can't find a solution. I already tried several times to
>> uninstall/re-install  perl modules but the error remains. I'm sure I
>> have the correct paths mentioned in the error message set in my Apache
>> server as it shows on my phpinfo result. I also have a simple perl
>> script to check connection to the database and it runs ok.
>>
>> Are there anything else I can check? I really really need help!
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Edward

Edward C. Jakosalem